The Swimming Pool and Spa Maintenance Technical Certificate Program is designed to help students develop advanced technical skills and competencies related to the operation and repair of swimming pool and spa equipment. Students will develop skills in pool and spa codes, pool opening and closing, pool and spa management, and furniture maintenance. Students will also learn details about safe operations of pools and spas, statistics, filtration, recirculation equipment, chemical treatment, water analysis, supplies, and accessories. In addition, students will learn details about energy conservation, disease control, accident prevention, and renovation.
This program consists of four courses.
SWI101 - Pool and Spa Codes
SWI102 - Pool Opening
SWI103 - CPO (Certified Pool Operator)
SWI104 - Pool Closing
There are no prerequisites… but we recommend that students pursue the courses as sequenced above, and mainly because, the set of courses are designed to build upon each other.
The duration of this program is 240 clock hours or 8 semester credits. AC/C TECH utilizes the clock hour method for determining academic units of measurement. Whereas each course is designed to have 60 clock hours of specialized technical training. The following is a typical breakdown of the course activities: reviewing the course syllabus = 1.0 hour, reading technical assignments = 3.0 hours, analyzing handouts = 1.5 hours, playing lectures = 4.5 hours, taking quizzes = 3.0 hours, watching reference videos = 1.5 hours, doing lab assignments = 7.5 hours, completing the final examination = 2.0 hours, attending the student verification assignment = 1.0 hour, doing OJT assignments = 30.0 hours, attending web meetings = 4.0 hours, and pursuing tutoring, if necessary = 1.0 hours.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Find and Interpret swimming pool and spa codes.
- Explain how to open and close swimming pools and spas for the season.
- Interpret procedures for cleaning and acid washing a pool safely.
- Summarize how to maintain pool and spa equipment (such as filtration, recirculation, chemical treatment, and water analysis).
- Develop professional documentation of tasks completed and customer relation skills.
- Apply Pool & Spa Maintenance skills within industry standards and governmental regulations.
Graduates will be awarded a Technical Certificate in Swimming Pool and Spa Maintenance.